Tyne and Wear HER(809): Wallsend, Roman bathhouse - Details
Wallsend, Roman bathhouse
Health and Welfare
In 1840 Hodgson published his account of the uncovering of "a very curious cauldron for heating water in... On the outside it was square, and consisted from the foundation to the top of a broad wall, of common ashlar work. Within it was oval", measured 5 feet x 6 feet, and 3 feet deep, and was lined with smooth hard cement, 1 inch thick and mixed with brick. Close to the cauldron was a flue. It is possible to read his account to mean that he saw this feature in 1814, during the forming of the gears of Fawdon Staith, a little above the high water mark, and that it was the last fragment of a building most of which had already been removed. It seems unlikely, on grounds of date, appearance and improbable survival, after his observation, that this was the same structure described from second hand information by MacLauchlan, and sited near the Ship Inn.
<< HER 809 >> J. Hodgson, 1840, History of Northumberland, Part 2, Vol. III, p. 171 n. H. MacLauchlan, 1863, Memoir of a Survey of the Roman Wall, p. 7 n. 1 and fig. 4. G.R.B. Spain, ed. 1930, Wallsend Fort Suburbs, Northumberland County History, XIII, 492-3 J.C. Bruce & C.M. Daniels, 1978, Wallsend (Segedunum), Handbook to the Roman Wall, 13th ed. p. 59 P.T. Bidwell, N. Holbrook & M.E. Snape, 1991, The Roman Fort at Wallsend and its Environs, p. 3 no. 4