Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Newcastle, New Bridge Street, Church of St. Dominic

Tyne and Wear HER(9127): Newcastle, New Bridge Street, Church of St. Dominic - Details

Back to Search Results


9127


Newcastle


Newcastle, New Bridge Street, Church of St. Dominic


Newcastle


NZ26SE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Roman Catholic Church


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Roman Catholic Priory Church. 1869-73 by A. M. Dunn. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel with apse and ambulatory/vestry. Aligned north-south, with altar at south. Ritual south-west tower above adjacent gateway to priory yard. C13 style. West front has entrance obscured by mid C20 porch containing re-used doors with studs and 'D' motif in iron. Blind arcade above porch contains central gabled niche with headless statue: large wheel window above flanked by carved symbols of Evangelists. West buttresses, the right widened into a stair turret, have empty gabled niches. Gatehouse at right has splayed reveals to moulded arch under dripmould; empty niche above; blind arcade beneath hipped roof with four top gablets. Lancets in aisles, paired on south; triple clerestory windows in bays defined by buttresses. 9 high lancets in apse. Steeply-pitched roofs. Interiors: polychrome brick above boarded dado; ashlar dressings; painted plaster apse; collar-truss roof. 6-bay nave and one-bay chancel have round piers with stiff-leaf capitals supporting moulded arches; carved heads in spandrels below continuous dripmould; Frosterley marble shafts with clasping bands to chancel and chancel aisle arches. Rere-arches to windows. Crocketed stalls in chancel are 1826 from Peterborough Cathedral. 1879 alabaster pulpit with scenes of life of St. Dominic. Marble communion rail. Square font on marble shafts. Patterned tiled floor in chancel. Glass by Atkinson Bros. Newcastle in south aisle. Large painting by Dastis of St. Dominic in Lady Chapel. LISTED GRADE 2


2584


6447


NZ25846447



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 12/414; N. Pevsner and I. Richmond (second edition revised by J. Grundy, G. McCombie, P. Ryder and H. Welfare) , 1992, The Buildings of England: Northumberland, p 425-430

Back to Search Results