Fast Search

You are Here: Home / South Gosforth, Church Road, Church of St. Nicholas

Tyne and Wear HER(9146): South Gosforth, Church Road, Church of St. Nicholas - Details

Back to Search Results


9146


Newcastle


South Gosforth, Church Road, Church of St. Nicholas


South Gosforth


NZ26NE


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Place of Worship


Parish Church


Post Medieval


C18-C20


Extant Building


Parish church. 1799 tower and west end by John Dodds after demolition of earlier church; 1820 additions by John Dobson; 1912/13 and 1950 additions. Sandstone ashlar; graduated Lakeland slate roof. West tower with north and south porches; aisled nave with north vestries and second north aisle; chancel with porches and small apse. Flat stone lintels to double doors in west porches; 3-stage tower has west window, similar blind window above and belfry openings in set-back third stage below cornice and octagonal stone spire with swept eaves. Blocked south door and inserted south-east door have flat stone lintels. All windows round- headed, those of nave recessed with projecting stone sills in tall round-arched panels; smaller narrow square-headed windows flank main east window. Coped parapets above eaves band; stone gable coping with cross finial; semi-dome to apse. Interior: painted plaster above panelled dado; segmental boarded roof with side vaults to 2 oeuils de boeuf. Nave arcades of 2 wide elliptical arches with narrow arches at east and west ends; 5-arched arcade to extra North aisle. Ionic Order to chancel arch; panelled sanctuary. Headstones built into south aisle wall. Glass includes memorial to J.B. and M.A. Row by G.J. Baguley, Newcastle, 1902. LISTED GRADE 2


2507


6807


NZ25076807



Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historic Interest, 9/12; Newcastle City Council, 2002, Gosforth Conservation Area Character Statement, p 45; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 29

Back to Search Results