Tyne and Wear HER(9377): North Shields, Clifford's Fort, No. 10 (Old Barrack Building) - Details
North Shields, Clifford's Fort, No. 10 (Old Barrack Building)
Brick-built soldiers quarters as shown on OS second edition. Purpose-built structure for the Tyne Divison Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Submarine Miners built circa 1888. Clifford's Fort was at that time a facility for the deployment of underwater explosives to destroy enemy vessels approaching the Tyne. There were 9 officers and 180 other ranks here in 1888. This building is now occupied by Southern Electronics.
North Tyneside Council, Draft Local List Nominations, 2006; North East Civic Trust, 2001, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Draft Conservation Plan, pages 37-38