Tyne and Wear HER(9387): North Shields, Clifford's Fort, 7, 7a, 8 and 8a (mine stores) - Details
North Shields, Clifford's Fort, 7, 7a, 8 and 8a (mine stores)
Coastal Defence Site
Submarine Mine Depot
Two former mine stores (Nos. 7 and 8) and two loading rooms (Nos. 7a and 8a) where the detonators for the mines were kept. The four buildings form a square. Built by the Tyne Divison Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Submarine Miners circa 1888. Clifford's Fort was at that time a facility for the deployment of underwater explosives to destroy enemy vessels approaching the Tyne. The explosive charges were moored at or beneath the water's surface, fired from the shore by electric cables. A narrow gauge railway track transported mines to the adjacent pier. The stores were later re-used as fish smoke houses. Currently (2006) being converted into commercial units unified with a glazed link.
Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2004, Structural Recording of Units 7A, 7B, 8A and 8B at Clifford's Fort, North Shields; North Tyneside Council, Draft Local List Nominations, 2006; North East Civic Trust, 2001, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Draft Conservation Plan, pages 38-39