Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Whitburn, North Guards, Methodist Church

Tyne and Wear HER(9494): Whitburn, North Guards, Methodist Church - Details

Back to Search Results


9494


S Tyneside


Whitburn, North Guards, Methodist Church


Whitburn


NZ46SW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Nonconformist Chapel


Methodist Chapel


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


Built in 1881 to replace the original Wesleyan Chapel of 1812. John Wesley visited Sunderland and Cleadon in the mid 18th century and methodism increased in popularity with meetings held in houses until the first chapel was built. The church is in small pleasant well-kept grounds enclosed by a low stone wall with cast iron railings. The building has a simple form and Arts & Crafts influence. Rock faced sandstone with red sandstone dressings, Westmorland slate roof, lancet windows and doors, swept spire with weather vane. There is a modern well-designed lych gate. The adjoining minister's house is of similar design with swept eaves and mullion windows. A tall tapered octagonal tower links the two. LOCAL LIST


4054


6194


NZ40546194



Tyne and Wear Specialist Conservation Team, March 1992, Other Buildings of Acknowledged Architectural Quality or Historic Significance (South Tyneside UDP Appendix ENV (B)); SOUTH TYNESIDE LOCAL LIST REVIEW 2011, LSHA/165/W

Back to Search Results