Tyne and Wear HER(972): Lamesley, Riding farm - Details
Lamesley, Riding farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
The earliest reference yet found is 1365, when Thomas de Urpath held the manor of Urpeth EXCEPT 5 husbandry lands and a new assart called the Rydding, which were held by Alexander de Kibblesworth and Idoma de Urpeth. The Riding is mentioned in Hatfield's Survey (c.1382), and in 1474 it and the manor were both held by John Parke Esq. from the bishop. At the end of the 15th century the manor became the property of the Hedworths, and in 1640 it, and the messuage of the Riding, were granted in trust for Robert Bewicke Esq., mayor of Newcastle. The Bewickes, Newcastle merchants and also of Close House, held the Riding certainly into the 19th century. In the enclosure award of 1800/18 the area of the farm is clearly shown as ancient enclosed lands, held by Calverley Bewicke, at the south-east corner of Kibblesworth Common. Only two of the original 19th century farm buildings survive on site.
<< HER 972 >> R. Surtees, 1820, History...of Durham, II, pp. 192-4 W. Greenwell, 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, p. 82 Enclosure Awards, 1800, Blackburn Fell - Durham Records Office; North Pennines Archaeology, 2010, Riding Farm, Kibblesworth - Archaeological Watching Brief